Monday, December 7, 2009

Did You Just Fartlek?



Can I say that? Yes, I can because it's referring to a Swedish word meaning"speed play" that was developed by famed Coach Gosta Holmer in the 1930's.  In essence, a fartlek session is where you run at alternating speeds throughout your run (e.g. slow and fast.)

In spite of it's funny connotations, fartleks are a actually a great workout tool because the change in speed and in your body's heart rate is a better metabolism-booster than a similar distance run at the same speed.

Remember when I mentioned run-walking?  This is kinda like the next step up from that.  It's also a great way to maximize a workout when time is limited.  For example, a 20 minute run with 5 quick bursts at about 30 second each would be considered a fartlek run and make for a better quality run than just running straight for 20 minutes.

I try to do at least 3 fartlek workouts a month when I'm training for a marathon and I think they are a key part of any distance-runner's regimen.

Anyone ever heard of this training method before? If you give it a try, let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin